Thursday, June 16, 2022

 What About Him? 

   “Seeing him, Peter said to Jesus, ‘What about him, Lord?’  Jesus answered, ‘If I want him to stay behind til I come. what does it matter to you? You are to follow me.’” (John 21: 21 – 22) 

   Jesus had just told Peter to shepherd His sheep, commissioning Him to lead His church.  And still, Peter was concerned with worldly matters, wondering what Jesus’ plans for John were.  I find that I am sometimes like Peter; more concerned with what others are doing rather than simply following the Lord.

   God gives as He desires to whom He pleases.  His plans are His own and it’s not for me to question them.  I have been blessed in this life and I owe thanks to God for those blessings, not questions about the blessings He has chosen to give others.

   It can be especially hard to understand the success of someone openly opposed to God and His ways.  In fairness, shouldn’t those who believe and strive to follow His ways be the ones to reap those blessings?  But as for me, I am to be grateful for God's blessings to me and not concern myself with those He may have given to others.

   Pride and envy may drive us to question the many blessings evil persons sometimes receive in this life, but we must remember, “What profit is there for one to gain the whole world yet lose or forfeit himself? (Luke 9: 25)

No comments:

Post a Comment