Tuesday, June 21, 2022

 Today 

   “Yesterday is gone.  Tomorrow has not yet come.  We have only today.  Let us begin.” (St. Mother Teresa of Calcutta) 

   As I was completing my walk this morning the sun was beginning to rise.  The sky was aflame with the rays shining through the clouds.  The day was beginning.  The question is, what will I make of this day?

   Will I serve God in all I do?  Will I turn to Him when tempted, asking for His strength to resist those temptations?  Or will I go through the day concerned with my own thoughts and desires?  Will I allow the worries and trials of the world to influence my thoughts and actions?

   I suspect it will be a little of both.  As much as I would like to say that I will always serve God and turn to Him and His ways, I know that I will fail at times.  This world and its sinfulness has a way of drawing me away from the truth that God is in charge.  I must remember that the world and all within it will pass away, only God is eternal.

   Yesterday is over and there is nothing I can do to change the things I did.  If they were good, I thank God for them.  If I committed any evil, I can’t go back and change that.  All I can do is ask for God’s mercy and forgiveness and try to do better today.

   Tomorrow has not yet come and may never come.  This world could end at any moment at the word of God.  My life could be over in an instance if God determines it’s time to call me home.  Putting off until tomorrow what I should do today means that it may never be done.

   Yesterday is done and gone, and there is no certainty that I will see tomorrow.  I must serve Him today because today is all I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment