Thursday, June 9, 2022

 The River of God 

   I stand before a river.  It’s quite wide and the current looks to be very strong.  As I stand on the shore I realize that I must decide; should I remain on the shore where I feel safe, or should I enter the water.

   Gently, I enter the water at its edge.  I feel the coolness washing over my feet and a gentle tug on my heart urging me to go deeper into the water.  Yet there is also something telling me that I’m not ready for the deeper waters and I should just go back to the shore and forget about the river.

   I take the chance and walk a bit deeper into water.  It’s now above my knees and the desire to go even further grows stronger.  But the voice telling me it’s not safe grows louder, telling me that I must go back to shore.

   Finally, I’m neck deep in the water.  The current is pulling me, and I can barely keep my feet on the sandy bottom.  A bit more and I will be in water over my head.  And yet, I’m becoming less afraid of the water and more confident that this is where I belong.  The voice warning me of the danger is still there telling me that I can’t swim in such strong current and will surely drown, but it doesn't seem quite as loud.

   As the waters grow deeper I abandon myself to the current, swimming with it and understand that I have made the right choice.  I am to allow God’s river to take me where it will until it brings me home to Him in my eternal home: a great peace overwhelms me.  The voice is still there, still tempting me to go back, but I ignore it and it fades away. 

          “So don’t you sit upon the shoreline and say you’re satisfied.  Choose to chance the rapids and dare to dance that tide.” (“The River – Garth Brooks.)

No comments:

Post a Comment