Thursday, June 23, 2022

 Faith 

   “To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary.  To one without faith, no explanation is possible.” (St. Thomas Aquinas) 

   Trying to explain my faith in God, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, to someone who doesn’t understand or have faith is like trying to describe the color blue to one who has been blind from birth.  It simply isn’t possible.

   Before I could come to know my Lord I had to have faith that He existed and loved me.  But placing faith in others is difficult for most people, even faith in God.  The faith we need is a gift from God; one that must be sought.  He will never deny us the gift of faith, but we must first ask for it and be willing to believe that it exists.

   God wants all of us come to faith and be saved from condemnation.  For this reason, He is exceedingly patient with us.  “The Lord does not delay his promise, as some regard ‘delay,’ but he is patient with you, not wishing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.” (2 Peter 3: 9).

   My faith is what gets me through each day.  When I look at the troubles and turmoil in the world the day can easily become one of despair.  Then I remember that this world is not my home, but a state of exile from my true home in God’s kingdom.  Jesus said, “Do not let your hearts be troubled.  You have faith in God; have faith in me also.” (John 14: 1).  This is the faith that makes the woes of this world less troublesome.

   The path to heaven is a path of faith in God and all His promises; a faith of confidence and trust.  It is that kind of faith that will lead me home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment