Tuesday, August 18, 2020

 Because of Love 

   “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another.  Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another.” (John 13: 34) 

   The basis for Christianity is love.  God created not out of need but out of love.  He made man and woman not because He needed company or fellowship but because He loved.  He chose a people to be His own, to know His love.  He loved them, taught them, led them, and even chastised them for their sins. 

   “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have everlasting life.” (John 3: 16).  His people had ignored His laws, persecuted His prophets, and worshipped other gods.  In an act of overwhelming love He sent Jesus to offer them eternal life.  Still they ignored Him, treating the Son of God as a criminal and hanging Him on a cross.  On the cross Jesus extended His love and forgiveness even to those who had rejected Him and nailed Him to the cross.  “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” (Luke 23: 34)

   Love will overcome all evils, but I must understand love as God intended.  It is a love of  self-giving, of caring for the other simply because they are a child of God.  Christian love leaves no room for bigotry or hatred.  The love of God knows no color or nationality, it knows only love of the other.  Love must extend even to those who may persecute me, I must pray for them.  My love must include even the greatest of sinners.  It is God’s desire that all be saved and spend eternity with Him so I must pray that His will be accomplished in all.

   Everything God has done or ever will do has been done because of His love.  If I refuse to love I refuse Him.  If I love God, my neighbors, and even my enemies, He, in His love, will bring me to Him when this life is over. 

Your love is boundless and unending.

Give me a heart full of love.

Your love is an ever-burning flame.

Set my heart afire with that same love.

 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment