Monday, August 31, 2020

 Try, Try, and Try Again 

   Each morning I say a short prayer thanking God for the rest given during the night, for the new day, and for the strength to live this new day according to His will.  Then I get out of bed and begin my day, always knowing that I will fail in some way to live in the perfection of His will.

   I try to avoid sin.  I try to live as God desires and yet I still fail.  It may be nothing “big”, maybe an unkind thought about the driver in the car ahead of me who sits too long after the light goes green.  Perhaps it’s frustration because of those who can’t seem to understand that the sanctuary of the church is a place of prayer, not a place to chat as if they were having coffee at home.

   I bothers me at times that I can’t do better than I do to avoid even minor sins in my life.  My weakness seems to know no bounds.  Temptations are many and my strength is sometimes no match for them.

   Then I remember that I am not perfect and can never achieve perfection in this life.  As much as I wish it weren’t so, sin will always be a part of my life.  The most I can do is try as hard as I can to avoid it and to seek forgiveness when I fail.

   I’ve come to understand that my failures don’t matter nearly as much as my efforts to avoid them.  God knows my weakness, and in my weakness He comes to me with His love and mercy.  The true failure would be to quit trying. 

Perfection isn’t possible in this life.

I try but am too weak.

Come to me with Your strength.

Don’t forget me in Your love and mercy. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment