Tuesday, August 25, 2020

The Adventure of Prayer 

   On any journey we usually hope to see interesting sites along the way.  We plan our route to make sure we visit those places we most want to experience.  Our journey to God is similar in some ways.  Maybe we seek out religious sites or shrines on our way.  We may join tours to the Holy Land or other spiritual sites.  Prayer is a big part of the journey for me; it is an adventure in getting to know God more completely and to serve Him more faithfully.

   My prayer life has evolved over the years.  What used to be somewhat routine using rote prayers has become much more personal.  Simply repeating the same prayers over and over no longer satisfies me.  I need and seek a more intimate relationship with my Lord.

   A practice known as Lectio Divina (Latin for divine reading) has changed just reading scripture into a form of prayer.  Rather than setting a goal of reading a few chapters or verses each day I try to experience each line, looking for how it affects me today.  I may only read a couple of verses before the Spirit takes over and I stop reading and contemplate what those verses are telling me and how they are to affect my life.

   At times I simply sit quietly, listening and waiting, pushing earthly matters out of my mind, seeking the quiet still voice of the Lord.  These are the best times of prayer.  However, reaching this level of prayer is never up to me, it is a grace from God.   But when it occurs, and I know and feel the presence of God it is incredible.

   Prayer is my adventure, an adventure with my Lord.  I look forward to it; it is the highlight of my day.  The journey is long and sometimes difficult, but a sincere prayer life helps me walk the path that leads to Him. 

In times of joy and happiness,

I turn to You in thanksgiving.

In times of pain and sorrow,

I turn to You for comfort.

In all things, in all ways

I turn to You.

 

Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment