Thursday, August 13, 2020

 

Pride – Our Greatest Enemy 

“You must ask God to give you power to fight against the sin of pride which is your greatest enemy – the root of all that is evil, and the failure of all that is good.  For God resists the proud.” (St. Vincent de Paul) 

   If I just can’t resist telling my friends what I’ve done to serve God I am suffering from the sin of pride.  When I seek recognition of any kind for the good works I may do I am being prideful.  I am not capable of doing good without God for only He can bring about good from a sinful man.

   Jesus told His disciples, “But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing. (Matt 6: 3).  It is only by His grace that I am able to do anything good and He is the only one who can take the credit.  Pride may tell me that I did something good, but I know that it is only through the grace of God.

   When I read the lives of the great saints one thing is consistent.  They all give credit to God, recognizing that without Him they can do nothing.  The praise and credit always goes to God and they see themselves only as a tool in His hands.  A tool cannot act unless the one holding the tool directs it.  So it is with any good I might do.  God is the source; I am to be His instrument.

   “Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before the fall.” (Proverbs 16: 18).  Pride is sly, it sneaks in when I least expect it.  It takes no action on my part, only a willingness to boast of my deeds.  Even if I brag to know one else, my inward boasting alone marks me as full of pride and in my pride I am sinful.

 

Lord, the prideful spurn You.

Any good can only come from You.

Take away any pride I may have.

I give all glory and praise to You.

 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment