Saturday, August 1, 2020


The Forgiveness of the Lord

   “Happy are those whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered”.  (Psalm 32: 1)

   Forgiveness is difficult for mankind.  We find it hard to forgive others and even harder to forgive ourselves.  Because of this, we sometimes question the forgiveness of God; we wonder how He could forgive our sins.  Until we can accept His forgiveness with certainty we will never be able to truly forgive others or ourselves.

   In prayer I ask for strength to sin no more, for guidance to know His ways.  I ask for the wisdom and understanding to better know and follow His will for me.  I try to walk in His ways but still I’m not always certain that I am on the right path.  I strive to avoid sin, but still I fail.

   I sin but am not lost; the Lord knows of my weakness and offers forgiveness when I sincerely seek it.  He places my sins far away and urges me to forgive myself as He has forgiven me.  I have no doubt of His forgiveness but forgiving myself is never easy.  The sins, though absolved, still haunt me.  Satan tempts me to ask if I am truly forgiven, if am I sure that God would forgive such sins.

   In my heart I know God’s forgiveness has no bounds, His love is eternal, and He will never turn from me.  But the father of lies keeps reminding me of my past sins.  Therefore I sometimes struggle to accept the certainty of God’s forgiveness.

   I will never fully understand the depth of His love and the mercy He has for me.  His forgiveness is real, His love is eternal, and His mercy is boundless.  I need only to accept this reality.

Thank You for forgiving me.
Thank You for Your great love.
Thank You for Your endless mercy.
I give You thanks in all things.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment