Friday, August 7, 2020

 

Peace in Difficult Times

 

   This life deals some difficult blows to us.  We’ve all had them and will probably experience more.  I sometimes think they are tests, tests of our faith, tests of our confidence and trust in the Lord.

   Jesus said, “Whoever does not carry the cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.” (Luke 14: 27).  He said this as one of the ways that Christians will be known.  Without willingly taking up the cross and following Him we are not worthy of the name.  Even if it should mean that we are to follow Him to Calvary.

   And yet He also promised peace.  “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid.” (John 14: 27).  But He made it clear that the peace He offers is not the peace this world seems to offer.  The peace of this world is fleeting at best and a lie at worst.

   When faced with a painful situation, a cross to bear, it’s important to keep these words of our Lord in mind.  Yes, there will be crosses we must carry.  Some may be devastating, so difficult we may think we cannot bear them.  In those times Jesus will help us carry the cross, He will give us rest from our burden.

   In the same way we can’t expect peace in the world.  If we are living our life in concert with God’s will there will always be those who oppose us, those who would destroy our faith and even destroy us if possible.  It is then that we must remember that the peace of Christ is with us.  Regardless the hardships and difficulties in this life, His peace awaits those who follow Him, those who can say, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.”  (2 Timothy 4: 7).

Father, when times are hard

Come to me with Your peace.

When I feel I can’t go on

Help me carry my cross.

 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment