Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Denying Christ 

   “He said to him a third time, ‘Simon, son of John, do you love me?’  Peter was distressed that he had said to him a third time, ‘Do you love me?’ and he said to him, ‘Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.’  Jesus said to him, ‘Feed my sheep.’” (John 21: 17). 

   Peter denied Christ three times, refusing to even acknowledge that he knew Him.  Out of fear for his life he claimed he never knew the one who gives eternal life.

   He denied Jesus three times, still I can’t be judgmental toward Peter.  As I look back over my life, I see many times when I also denied Him, not in words but in actions.  Each time I have consciously sinned I was denying my Lord.  As much as I wish it weren’t true, I have knowingly rejected the teachings of Christ, choosing my own desires over His.

   Though I try to never consciously sin I know that I still commit sins against God and His ways.  Life brings many challenges and I’ve not always rejected Satan and his temptations.  The desires and wants of this world can be very difficult to ignore.

   Three times Jesus asked Peter if he loved Him.  Just as he denied Him three times, Peter declared his love of Christ three times.  His denial was forgiven, he would continue as the leader of the apostles and would become the first Pope.

   I take heart from the fact that Jesus forgave Peter his denial.  In the same way He forgives me my failings.  In sincerity I seek His forgiveness, in His love He forgives.  It was for this reason that He became man; to bring forgives and redemption to those who seek it.

 

In the things I have done I have denied You.

In things I fail to do I have denied You.

In sorrow and repentance I turn to You.

In Your great Love You forgive.

 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment