Thursday, August 20, 2020

 For the Love of God 

   The love of God is a perfect love, there is none greater.  But what about my love?  How sincere and how great is my love for God?  This is a question I must answer if I am to serve my Lord as I should.

   It isn’t possible for me to love God as He loves me.  I am prone to sinfulness, failing to follow God’s will far too often.  Even though He forgives my sins and failings I am still tainted by sin.  My heart can’t love in the same way God loves; but I must love as best I can.

   The fact that I can’t run as fast or am not as strong as other men doesn’t lessen me.  There are many who are far more intelligent than I, but I’m not diminished because of that.  These things are gifts of a loving God, given according to His will.  Not all receive the same gifts.  Even though I can't love as God loves He accepts and cherishes my love for Him. 

   God seeks not physical or mental prowess, but a loving heart.  Though it is not possible for me to love Him as I truly should He recognizes and welcomes my efforts to do so.  When this life is over, I will finally know the perfection of love.  Only then will I be able to love as God loves.

   “If I speak in human and angelic tongues but do not have love, I am a resounding gong, or a clashing cymbal.  And if I have the gift of prophecy and comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge; if I have faith so as to move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.  If I give away everything I own, and if I hand my body over so that I may boast but do not have love, I gain nothing.” (1 Cor 13: 1 - 3). 

   If I don’t have love, I do not have God in my life.

 

You are Love,

My heart yearns for that love.

Fill me with a love like Yours.

May I come to love as You love.

 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment