Tuesday, August 4, 2020


Gifts From the Heart

   “But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your alms may be done in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.” (Matt 6: 3 – 4)

   It upsets me when I see a stained-glass window in a church with a plaque recognizing the parishioner who donated it.  I don’t like the “giving levels” sometimes used to honor those who give larger amounts to the church.  Donate a thousand and you are in the Gold Club.  For five hundred you get silver.  Those who only give two hundred are bronze.

   Those who offer such recognition are not following the teachings of Christ, and those who seek or accept such recognition have received their reward.  Earthly praise for the good we do may satisfy self, but not God.  Our pride is saying, “See what I did? See how holy I am?”  God will spurn such arrogance.  He desires sacrifice from a sincere and humble heart.  Our sacrifice, our gift, should be a secret between us and God.

   As a poor widow placed two small coins in the offering Jesus told His disciples that she had given more than those who had given great amounts.  She had given from her want while they gave from their plenty.  (See Mark 12: 41 – 44).  I wonder where she would rate in the “giving levels” mentioned above?  Maybe as dust or dirt?  Probably not at all.  She had gained heavenly reward rather than worthless praise.  That is how it should be.

Many seek glory for the good they do.
Help me reject earthly praise.
They receive an earthly reward.
I seek my reward in heaven.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment