Monday, August 17, 2020

 What Do I Still Lack? 

   A young man asked Jesus, “Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?” (Matt 19: 16).  Jesus replied that he must keep the commandments.  The young man answered, “I have kept all these; what do I still lack?” (Matt 19: 20).

   What do I still lack?  That is a question that I ponder about my own relationship with God.  Have I done all that I should; all that He asks of me?  Is there more I should be doing; if so, what?  Jesus told the young man that if he wished to be perfect, he should sell all he had and give the money to the poor?  Is that what God asks of me?

   I know that God has a plan for me.  What that plan entails is something I must strive to understand.  In prayer I must reach out to Him, asking guidance.  I must also be willing to listen to the answer and follow God’s direction wherever that may lead.

   “For it was you who formed my inward parts; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.” (Psalm 139: 13).  From the very beginning, long before I came into physical existence God knew me.  He created me for a purpose.  It is my responsibility to discern that purpose and commit myself totally to His plan for me.

   Just as the young man asked Jesus, I too must ask, “What do I still lack?” 

Father, I am Your creation.

For Your purpose I was made.

Help me know what I still lack.

Give me the wisdom to know Your will for me.

 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment