Monday, August 24, 2020

 Who Do You Say That He Is? 

   “He said to them, ‘But who do you say that I am?’” (Matt 16: 15) 

   Of all the questions we are called upon to answer in life there is none more important than this one.  Our eternal life depends on our answer.

  I find that I have more respect for an atheist who firmly denies God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and all things spiritual than for those who claim my Lord was simply a good man, or a prophet.  They would try to soften their unbelief by implying that Jesus was, after all, a decent fellow who did some good things in His life.

   C. S. Lewis, in “Mere Christianity” wrote, “Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something else.”  He cannot be great teacher, prophet, or even a good man by claiming to be God if it were not true.  Either He is God, or He is a liar; there are no other options.

   I know from personal experience who Jesus Christ is.  He is the Son of God, the second person of the Trinity, the Messiah, my Lord, and my Savior.  He became man to pay the debt for my sins, a debt that I am incapable of paying.  He offers me redemption and the salvation of my soul.

   He suffered rejection, and betrayal.  His own apostles abandoned Him in His hour of need.  He was scourged, forced to carry His cross through the streets of Jerusalem and then nailed to that cross and left to die.  All of this He suffered for me, to offer me eternal life with Him in heaven.

   Think hard before you answer the question of who Jesus is to you.  Be absolutely sure of your answer; your eternal life depends on it.  As for me, I will echo the words of St. Peter, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” (Matt 16: 16). 

You are my Lord, I worship You.

You give me eternal Life, I thank You.

Fill me with Your spirit.

Let me serve You in all I do.

 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment