Monday, November 16, 2020

 A Lesson to Learn 

   “When they arrived at Bethsaida, they brought to him a blind man and begged him to touch him.  He took the blind man by the hand and led him outside the village.  Putting spittle on his eyes he laid his hands on him and asked, ‘Do you see anything?’  Looking up he replied, ‘I see people looking like trees and walking.’  The he laid his hands on his eyes a second time and he saw clearly; his sight was restored and he could see everything distinctly.” (Mark 8: 22 – 26) 

   To my knowledge this is the only time when Jesus required two tries to perform a miracle.  To me, this indicates that there was a purpose to this miracle beyond that of restoring sight the to blind.  There is a message to be learned and applied in my life today.

   When I first converted to Catholicism I could say that my eyes had been opened.  I began what would be a life-long journey to know my Lord and love Him.  What I had begun needed prayer and study of scripture and the faith I practice.  It is a growth process that will continue until my death.

   I compare the experience of the blind man in Mark’s gospel to my own faith life.  My eyes were opened at my baptism and conversion, but things were still fuzzy, uncertain.  I knew that by trusting in God and having faith He would help me grow and see more clearly.  A life change had begun but was far from complete.  It is still incomplete all these many years later.  As long as I live there will continue to be growth and knowledge to be gained.

   St. Paul said, “At present we see indistinctly, as in a mirror, but then face to face.  At present I know partially; then I shall fully know as I am fully known.” (1 Cor 13: 12).  In using two attempts to restore sight to the blind man I believe Jesus was teaching me I am on a lifelong journey in my desire to see Him clearly and truly know Him. 

I can’t fully know You in this life.

I am restrained by my sins.

Place Your healing hands upon me.

Open my eyes to see You clearly. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment