Tuesday, November 3, 2020

 Possessed by God

 

“The presence of God at your side is not a matter of feelings.  Rather, God takes possession of you, guiding, loving, and consoling you.”  (Frances Xavier Nguyen Van Thuan, “The Road of Hope”) 

If God isn’t possessing me, I am not truly His.  It’s not enough for me to say that I believe in Him, I must allow God to take possession of me.  My heart, my mind, and my soul must be His.

It’s hard for me to give everything to God.  All my life the example of the world has been to take charge of myself.  It’s considered weak to allow others to have too much control, too much influence in my life.  And yet that is the only way to truly know God.

Scripture often compares the relationship we are to have with the Lord in marital terms.  Jesus is the bridegroom and we are to be His bride.  In a truly sacramental marriage each is to give of themselves without regard for their own wants or desires.  Husband and wife are to become one in spirit, in love, and in life.  This is the same relationship I am to have with God.

Jesus gave His all to me in His life, passion, and death.  He had no concern for His own well-being but did all to provide a path to heaven for me.  My redemption, forgiveness, and salvation are the direct result of His love for me, His selfless sacrifice upon the cross.

As He gave His life for me, I am to give my life to Him.  I am to submit my will to His just as He submitted His to the Father in the Garden of Gethsemane (see Mark 14: 46).  Whatever I ask or desire I must leave subject to His will, not mine.  I must allow Him to possess me in all things, to love Him above all things, and to serve Him to the best of my ability, always trusting in His love and mercy.

 

Lord, I place myself in Your hands.

I give to You my heart, my mind, and my soul.

Possess me Lord.

Make me Yours.

 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment