Tuesday, November 10, 2020

 Surviving Life 

   I used to think that being a Christian was a goal to achieve, an answer to living life in peace at all times.  I felt that once I became a Christian all else would fall in place.  How very misguided I was.

   Christianity is not the cure for ending the evils of this world, but a way of life leading me to the world to come.  There are two sides to life, the spiritual and the physical.  The spiritual life must guide the physical and the earthly must bow to the spiritual.  It is a balance that can be hard to manage but it is the balance that brings peace and hope in a world stained by sin.

   There is so much evil in the world and Satan uses all means possible to convince us that it is so overwhelming that it cannot be defeated, only endured.  The news media, our politicians, the entertainment industry, and life itself seems dominated by Satan’s influence.  Even the Church suffers from evil, both from within as well as from without.  There is only one place I can turn to overcome this worldly situation.  I must turn to God.

   When viewed through the eyes of eternity, the daily trials and tribulations of life lose their significance.  Yes they can, and sometimes do, make this world seem to be a miserable place.  But God truly is in control; the evil may exist for a time but in the end it will fail.  It’s comforting to understand that I am only passing through this world on the way to my true home in heaven.  As Winston Churchill is credited with saying, “If you’re going through hell, keep going.”  A wise attitude to have, I cannot let the evils of this world rob me of the life to come.

   To survive life I must die to it and look with certainty to eternal life in God’s presence.  Evil can be overcome with His help and that help is always available.  He is waiting for us to ask. 

Father, this world is not my home.

My home is eternity in Your presence.

Help me overcome this world.

Guide me to the world to come. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment