Wednesday, November 25, 2020

God’s Will, Not Mine

 

   “We cannot expect God to support us if we are doing our own thing.  The spiritual journey consists in doing God’s thing.” (Thomas Keating, "Invitation to Love 20th Anniversary Edition; The way of Christian Contemplation") 

   I’ve heard people say they can’t find God.  The real question is not where God is but where are they.  God is always with us, but we are prone to look for Him where we want Him to be rather than bringing ourselves to where He wants us to be.

   I can’t find God in my own earthly desires and pleasures.  I can’t find God even in my spiritual life if I’m following my own ego driven will, trying to attribute it to God.  I must allow God to lead, not go off in my own direction expecting Him to follow and support me in those efforts.

   I’ve found that if I think I have “heard” the voice of God telling me what to do I need to consider that very carefully in prayer.  I fear that perhaps it is what I want rather than God’s desire.  I know those who say they hear God’s voice and I wish it were so with me, but it just isn’t.  I am aware of God’s desires when He places them in my heart, not my head.  I look for the peace God intends for me and if that is lacking, I’m must question whether I’m following God’s will or my own misguided desires.

   What God wants of me can be a mystery at times.  But mystery is the way of God.  He will lead if I allow, but I must give Him the reins, I must follow, not try to lead.  There used to be a saying, "God is my co-pilot."  If God is your co-pilot, then you’re in the wrong seat.  God must be the pilot; I am simply to follow His directions. 

I place myself in Your hands Lord.

Don’t let my pride lead me astray.

Show me Your ways.

The ways to eternal life. 

Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment