Tuesday, November 17, 2020

The Lord’s Peace 

   “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.  Not as the world gives do I give it to you.  Do not let your hearts be troubled.” (John 14: 27) 

   I often write of peace, not worldly peace but the peace of Christ.  Worldly peace is a fleeting thing, never lasting very long and easily lost.  The peace of Christ, on the other hand, is eternal.

   I look around and I see people everywhere who are angry and hateful.  They are angry that their candidate didn’t when the election.  They are angry because of the turmoil they see in our land.  They are angry because there is evil even in the church.  Their entire life seems consumed with anger.  There is no peace within them.

   Politicians lie, the media lies, even some in the church lie.  In a sinful world under the influence of Satan how are we to obtain peace?  And even if we find it, how are we to keep it?

   I think the key is in the scripture quoted above, “Not as the world gives do I give it to you.”  The world will never be at peace, it never has been and never will be.  I can’t change the world.  I can only try to maintain my peace and share that peace wherever possible.

   I must see the world for what it is, a passing thing, one that will not last.  I need to accept that there is evil in the world and there is very little that I can do about it.  I can try my best to bring God’s peace to as many as I can but must recognize that many will not accept it.  I must see this world is simply a waystation on the journey to my true home with God.

   These thoughts don’t make the world a better place.  They don’t and won’t bring world peace.  But they allow me to live in the peace of Christ, in the joy and happiness of knowing His presence within.  They keep my heart from being troubled. 

Peace is not found in the world.

It is only found in You Lord.

Don’t let the world overcome me.

Fill my heart with the peace of Your love. 

Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment