Sunday, November 8, 2020

 A Place for Me

 

   “And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back again and take you to myself, so that where I am you also may be.” (John 14: 3) 

   Jesus loves me so much that He has prepared a place for me.  He desires that He may come back and take me to Himself.  He will help me along the way, guide me on the right path, and lead me home if I will allow.

   But if I am to spend eternity with my Lord I must be obedient to Him and His ways.  Obedience is a concept that is frowned upon in many ways in our society today.  We are supposed to be our own person and giving our obedience to another is often considered weak, a fault to be overcome.

   I’ve often struggled with the words of St. Paul about Jesus’ obedience, “Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered; and when he was made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him.” (Hebrews 5: 9).  Jesus is God, the Son of God, how could He not be perfect?  Why did He need to learn obedience?  Though He was God, did He experience the need for obedience prior to His incarnation?  Perhaps part of His humanity was to learn what it is for humans to be obedient to another.  He was obedient to His parents, but most of all to God, the one true Father.  His obedience was perhaps perfected in the Garden of Gethsemane when He prayed, “Abba, Father, all things are possible to you.  Take this cup away from me, but not what I will but what you will.”  (Mark 14: 36).

   This is the obedience I must have if I am to be prepared for Jesus to take me to Himself.  Obedience that always says, “Your will, not mine, be done.” 

Lord I offer You my obedience.

Give me the strength to persevere.

Teach me all Your ways.

Make me holy that I may come to You. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment