Monday, November 2, 2020

 Stillness of Heart

 

   “Be still, and know that I am God!  I am exalted among the nations, I am exalted in the earth” (Psalm 46: 10) 

   A heart without God can do nothing except turn to the world and the world is not where my heart should be.  It’s vitally important that I remember that this world is temporary, and I am only in this world temporarily.  I have an obligation to try to bring God’s peace and love wherever I can but that can’t be done if I allow my heart to be filled with earthly concerns rather than the will of God.

   This is not to say that I should have no concern for the world or that I should just ignore it.  I need to try to change things for the better when and where I can, but I also must keep in mind that I am limited in what changes I may be able to make.  To assume that I can fix the world is a prideful assumption: it is not based in reality.  The most I can do is use the gifts God has given me and follow His will in my life.  If I do that I believe that He will use me where appropriate and help me recognize when I need to remember that He is God, not me.

   There is peace to be found in stillness of heart.  If I am overly concerned with earthly matters I will never find that peace, only despair.  Instead I must trust in God.  Otherwise I may fill myself with so much earthly concern that I have left no room for Him in my life. 

You are God, I am not.

I can do nothing without You.

Let me help where I can in this life,

But always focus on the next. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment