Thursday, November 5, 2020

 Not Of This World

 

   Our world is a remarkably changeable place.  Throughout history there have been periods of great upheavals and periods of peace.  Horrible wars have been fought and international relief efforts have saved millions of lives.  It seems each generation considers their time to be either better or worse than any time before.  A very brief review of world history would very quickly belie that assessment.

   It’s so easy to get wrapped up in worldly affairs and forget that we are not the first nor will we be the last to experience the ups and downs of a world stained by sin and evil.  For me, it makes no sense to let the issues of today destroy the peace God wishes me to have.  What happens today will most likely change tomorrow or the next day.  Nothing in this world lasts, both good and bad times come and go.

   Jesus taught that we are in this world, not of it.  He told His disciples, “If you belonged to the world, the world would love its own; but because you do not belong to the world, and I have chosen you out of the world, the world hates you.” (John 15: 19).

   I belong not to the world but to God.  Of course I am concerned with events of the world but, by the grace of God, I do not allow them to steal the peace He has given me.  If I were to focus too much on worldly matters where would I find the time to focus on Him?

   The world is short-lived in terms of eternity; it will pass away along with all the evil and sin within it.  Life is short and may be over at any time.  I refuse to spend my time in anguish and despair over worldly matters.  God brings peace to me in this world today and for all eternity in the next. 

Father let me belong to You alone.

The concerns of the world are of little importance.

Place Your will within me.

Let me live my life for You. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment