Tuesday, May 18, 2021

 Getting to Heaven 

   “Heaven is a city on a hill, hence we cannot coast into it; we have to climb.  Those who are too lazy to mount can miss its capture as well as the evil who refuse to seek it.” (Bishop Fulton Sheen, “The Wisdom of Fulton Sheen”) 

   As a Catholic I have an obligation to attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days; it is a part of my faith that I owe at least that minimum to our Lord.  In some ways I dislike the “obligation” to attend Mass; going to Mass is a joy and a privilege, not an obligation.  Sadly, I’ve known Catholics whose only reason for attending is to satisfy that obligation.  They are missing out on so much.

   Jesus never did the minimum required, He gave everything for us.  The Son of God loves us so much that He gave up His glory for a time and became man.  He came and lived the life we live, even to facing the temptations of Satan.  He was like us in all ways but sin.  Finally, He gave His very life in a most painful, horrible manner to pay the price for our sins.  All this He did because He loves us.

   A friend once told me that while on a mission trip to Haiti he had noticed an elderly woman who could barely walk struggling to make her way to Mass.  He went to help her and told her that Jesus would understand if she couldn’t get to Mass given it was such a hardship.  She responded, “After all He did for me should I not do this for Him?”  What a beautiful attitude, what a wonderfully spirit-filled woman.

   Anything of worth deserves more than the least required.  Our spiritual life depends on our response to our Lord.  After all He’s done for us, how can we repay with the bare minimum? 

You gave Your all for me.

I want to give my all for You.

Take my life, take all I am.

Use me as You will. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment