Friday, May 7, 2021

 God’s Love, Mercy and Providence 

   “Trust the past to the mercy of God, the presence to His love, and the future to His providence.” (St. Augustine) 

   The past is gone, there is nothing I can do to change it.  Whether I’ve done right or wrong, it is over and there's no going back.  If I hang on to the past, especially the difficulties and trials, I am not trusting in the mercy of God.  If I cannot forgive myself for the sins for which He has forgiven me I am refusing His mercy.

   The present is a never-ending battle.  Each day I am tempted by Satan.  The closer I come to God the more it seems I am attacked by the evil one.  I suppose that makes sense; there is no need for Satan to tempt those he already controls.  It’s only the ones who reject Him and turn to God that he must continue to entice with worldly goods and pleasures. 

   Though I try to reject sin, I know there will be times when I weaken and fail.  Even in those failures, God’s love remains, He calls me to return to Him in sorrow and penitence for my sin.  Nothing I do is beyond His love and mercy.

   The future is a total unknown, it may be many years, or it may be just a few seconds.  My future is the hands of God and my desire is to leave it to Him, trusting in His providence, His love, and His mercy.  He will lead me where I need to go if I am willing to follow.

   The past is done, the present is one second at a time, and the future is yet to come.  When I trust in God’s mercy, love, and providence, there is no need to worry.  All will be as it should be when I place all my trust in Him. 

I am Yours Lord.

This day, tomorrow, and forever.

Lead me where You will.

I trust in You. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment