Thursday, May 6, 2021

 God Is Found in Love 

   “You see it is not man who is on the quest of God; it is God that’s on the quest of man.” (Bishop Fulton Sheen, “Your Life is Worth Living.”)

   From the beginning God has desired to have a relationship with us.  He created us not because He needed to or had to, but out of His love.  He desired to love us and so created us.

   I think many spend all their time trying to find God in all the wrong places.  They look for signs and miracles when they are all about us in nature and our everyday life.  They want to hear the voice of God when He speaks to us in so many ways, in the majesty of His creation, in the silence of our hearts and mind when in prayer.  They look to religious leaders and want a step by step process when the process is quite simple.  Open your heart and allow Him to enter.

   Jesus told us, “Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come and make our dwelling with him.” (John 14: 23).  I believe the word we are to keep is “love”.  Jesus’ life was one of love and mercy toward all.  He told us that the greatest commandments are to love God with all our heart, soul, and mind, and to love our neighbor as ourselves (Matt 22: 36 – 40).  All other commandments depend on these.

   Without love we can never find God, but that doesn’t stop His quest for us.  He will continue to love us, to reach out to us and urge us to come to Him for His mercy and forgiveness.  We needn't go on a long, arduous search, we need to open ourselves to Him and offer Him our love.  He will enter and dwell with us. 

I am unworthy of You.

Still, You love me and want me.

In my heart I can find You.

You are there, waiting for me. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment