Tuesday, May 4, 2021

 Prodigal Children 

   "While he was still a long way off, his father caught site of him, and was filled with compassion.  He ran to his son, embraced him and kissed him.” (Luke 15: 20) 

   In my home I have a print of Rembrandt’s “Prodigal Son”.  I often notice it as I move about the house.  I see myself quite frequently in that painting; it moves me to try to better respect, honor, and obey my Father in Heaven.

   Like the prodigal, I have often squandered the gifts and blessings the Lord has given.  I have accepted them as if they were my due and failed to thank Him.  I have misused them in sinful ways, debasing the beauty of His gifts.  I desire to do better, but there are still times when I offend Him by my words and actions.  When I come to Him, He forgives and welcomes me home.  How generous is His love and mercy toward His children!

   I also see myself in the angry brother.  He has been faithful to his father and done all that he has asked.  He can’t understand how his father can forgive him and welcome home the one who insulted him, wasting everything on a life of sin.  Don’t I sometimes question one who has lived a life of sin and suddenly wants forgiveness on their death bed?  How can a life of sin and debauchery be erased in the last dying breath?

   It can be erased as easily as my sins are erased when I confess to the Father.  Just as the thief on the cross was promised paradise by Jesus so too the repentant sinner.  Even at the moment of death sincere repentance will never be refused.  What love the Father has for us!

   We are all prodigal children of God.  We all offend Him and sin against Him.  We all need to return in sorrow and repentance seeking His mercy. 

Father, we are all sinners.

We reject and misuse Your many gifts.

In Your mercy You will forgive.

Help us come to you in sincere repentance. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment