Saturday, May 29, 2021

 God is My Refuge 

   “Keep me safe O God; in you I take refuge.” (Psalm 16: 1) 

   The world in which we live is not always a friendly place.  Sometimes it’s not even a very safe place.  As St. Peter advised, “Your opponent the devil is prowling about like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.” (1 Peter 5: 8).

   In God there is safety.  When we turn to Him and offer our life to Him, we take the wind out of Satan’s sails.  If we rest in the love and mercy of God, the evil one cannot overcome us.  We have the armor of God to protect us, and He will never abandon us.

   In God there is refuge from the trials and tribulations, the strength needed to resist evil and seek God’s will.  When we call upon Him in our need, He will answer.  He will give us comfort and peace even in the worst of times.

   This doesn’t mean there won’t be difficult times, times when temptation is great, when our will is weak.  There will be times of failure when we succumb to Satan’s temptations, sinning against our Lord.  Yet even then God remains with us, waiting to forgive our failures and our sins.

   When I am tempted, when I am sorely pressed to resist, I am reminded of Jesus’ words to the apostles at the last supper, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.  Not as the world do I give it to you.  Do not let your hearts be troubled.” (John 14: 27).  In His peace is the refuge of God, in His love our safety, in His forgiveness and mercy our salvation. 

Father this world is sinful.

Evilness abounds.

I turn to You for help.

Be my refuge Lord. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment