Tuesday, May 11, 2021

 Returning to Life 

   I went outside this morning intending to uproot and dispose of two of my plants.  The winter here in Ocala was quite a bit colder for longer than usual and these plants, which normally would have survived were dead; or so I thought.

   When I went to dig them up, I found new growth coming up from the bottom of both plants.  Bright green, healthy sprouts reaching skyward where only a few days ago there was no sign of life.  My plants had been reborn.  So instead of uprooting them, I pruned all the dead branches off and left them to grow.  I’m sure they will flourish now that spring is here.

   This reminded me of the many people in the world who appear to be dead spiritually.  There seems to be no growth in their lives, no blossoms or fruit are being produced.  Yet, hopefully, like my plants, there is still a spark of life within them, a spirit that can be reborn, producing the fruit of God’s blessings.

   Jesus said, “I am the true vine, and my father is the vine-grower.  He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit.  Every branch that bears fruit he prunes to make it bear more fruit.” (John 15: 1 – 2).  Many branches that appear to be dead may have within them the ability to bear fruit if properly pruned and nourished by the love of God.  I think of the sinners who have turned from sin and now follow Christ; I am one of them.  We were lost, but in Jesus we have found new life and will live eternally.

   Jesus never gave up on anyone, but instead loved them.  We must do the same.  Though some we know, and even some we love may appear to be spiritually dead, we can never give up searching for that spark within them.  If we lovingly and gently prune the dead branches perhaps they too will bear fruit worthy of eternal life. 

Lord You love everyone.

You forgive rather than condemn.

Help me to imitate Your way.

May I love others and never give up on them. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment