Friday, November 19, 2021

 Joy 

   “As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love.  If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love.  I have said these things so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete.” (John 15: 9 – 11). 

   Jesus came to give us joy; joy in knowing Him and the Father, joy in receiving the Holy Spirit, and joy in the promise of eternal life with Him in heaven.

   Everyone seeks joy, we all want to be happy in life.  What many forget is that the only source of true joy is Christ, and Him within us.  Nothing in this world can bring lasting joy, only short-lived happiness.  What brings us joy today may disappear tomorrow.  Only the joy that comes from God will remain, never dying, never leaving us.

   The Lord told us that we must keep His commandments if we are to know His love, and the commandments He gave are to love God and to love our neighbor.  “The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments.” (Matt 22: 40).  Without love we cannot keep His commandments.  There are many good things we might do in life, but none will suffice without love.

   In His love I have been blessed with the love of family and friends.  In His love He has given me peace of mind and soul.  In His love He gave His live to offer me eternal life, joy for all time in His presence.  If I do not return that love, not only to Him, but to all His children, I have failed and do not deserve the love He has for me.  Without love, I can never know the joy He promises. 

You promise joy if I follow Your commands.

The commandments You give are to love.

Fill me with that love.

Lead me to the joy of eternal life. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment