Monday, November 1, 2021

 The Road to Heaven 

   “Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road broad that leads to destruction, and those who enter it are many.  How narrow the gate and constricted the road that leads to life.  And those who find it are few.” (Matt 7: 14) 

   I recently went on retreat at a Benedictine Abbey in rural Oklahoma.  I drove to the nearest airport where I boarded a plane and flew to Tulsa.  I left Tulsa on a four land divided highway and then turned off onto a two line state highway.  A bit further along, I turned onto a two land county road.  Finally, I turned onto a small dirt road, full of ruts, dips, curves and hills to eventually arrive at the Abbey.

   I envision the journey to Heaven as very similar to my trip to Oklahoma.  Part of the trip may be easy and comfortable; first class airline seats can be quite nice.  However, life will also include the narrow dirt roads that are difficult to travel.  There will be joys and pleasures but also trials and hardships.

   In my life there has been great joy and happiness but there have also been times of terrible turmoil, pain and sorrow.  I contemplate the path Jesus walked, the sorrow and pain He endured for me.  I cannot expect my life to be without some pain as well.  I give the Lord thanks for the joys of my life, and I offer the pains, and sorrows to Him, praying that in some way they can be united with the sorrows and pains He endured for me.

   Jesus said, “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me.” (Matt 16: 24).  The road to God is not always an easy one, the crosses can be heavy and difficult to bear.  Achieving anything of true value always includes some difficult times.  The journey will not always be easy, but the reward is worth whatever the cost. 

There are obstacles on the path.

But You help me overcome.

The road is sometimes difficult.

But Your love leads me on. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment