Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Prayer 

   “Our prayer, when it is addressed to God, is never complete unless we ask for God himself.” (Dom Paul Delatte, “The Spirit of Solesmes”) 

   I used to think of prayer as a set of words to be addressed to God, such as the Lord’s Prayer and others.  I was to reach out to Him in this way because that was just the way it was done.  I know some who carry many prayer books and recite the prayers in them.  It is a source of peace to them, and these prayers are of great value in so many ways.

   I’ve known others who rarely use the written prayers, but speak very personally to God, as if they were having a conversation with a friend.  I love the informality of this type of prayer and use it often myself.  This too is a beautiful way to pray.

   In my prayers, I tend to use both methods.  There are some prayers in the various prayer books that take me closer to God; I recite these prayers regularly.  But I also spend time in quiet personal prayer with my Lord, seeking His guidance in my life and looking to Him as He is, my loving Father who wants nothing but the best for me.

   My point is that everyone approaches God in their own way.  Some are very formal in their relationship, others less so.  In my mind the only requirement for effective prayer is that it be so for the one who is praying, whichever form it may take.

   However, as the quote above states, I believe the ultimate goal of prayer is to receive God Himself.  I have come to believe that a prayer can be a perfect prayer in just a few words, or even with no words at all.  After all, the whole purpose of prayer is to receive God; the words are not nearly as important as the intent. 

I want You in my life.

I pray for Your presence.

Come to me Lord.

Fill me with Your Holy Spirit. 

Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment