Monday, November 15, 2021

Sanctuary 

   The Miriam-Webster dictionary defines sanctuary as a consecrated place such as the Temple in Jerusalem or its’ Holy of Holies.  It also describes a sanctuary as the most sacred part of a religious building such as a Christian church in which the altar is placed.

   I envision the sanctuary at my parish, Queen of Peace, as a place to take refuge from the world; to clear my mind of earthly matters and place myself more completely in communion with God.  I usually get to church a while before Mass begins to settle myself, to pray, and open my mind, my heart, and my soul to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

   We need sanctuary, not only at church but in our home.  A place where we can shut out the world and be alone with God.  Our God is a jealous God, He does not want to share our time together.  He wants our full attention.

   In my home, my bedroom is my sanctuary.  There is no television, no radio, and my phone is silenced.  I can go in, close the door, and be alone with my Lord.  I pray, I read, I simply sit and consider God.  I’ve found that prayer does not always require words.  To be quiet and still is to be open to the presence of God.  It is in these times that I am closest to God.

   This world is the antithesis of sanctuary.  The noise, the rush, the hurrying everywhere detracts from our peace of mind.  We are on the go constantly, at work and even in what is supposed to be leisure time.  Our lives become so busy that we leave no room for God.  I can’t speak for others, but in my life, my sanctuaries, both at church and at home, are where I am most happy and most at peace.  They are my safe place. 

The world can be a place of chaos.

Help me find sanctuary.

Let me escape the daily grind.

Let me find peace with You. 

Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment