Friday, November 12, 2021

 Telling It Like It Is 

   There is a very fine line between standing up for God and insulting and condemning others.  It is a line that I must be very careful to never cross.

   As a Christian I have the responsibility to live my life according to God’s will and to share my faith whenever the opportunity presents itself.  I must be willing to stand against sin and immorality.  If I do less I am not following my Lord.

   However, I must also have love in my heart for the sinner, keeping in mind that it is their immortal soul that is at risk.  If I can light just the smallest spark in their hearts, perhaps God can bring those sparks to flame.  But if I offend them by condemning them I may extinguish any small flame that may already be there rather than making it stronger.

   Jesus never backed down from the condemnation sin but he had great love and forgiveness for the sinner.  He did not condemn the adulterous woman brought to Him, but instead, told her, “Neither do I condemn you.  Go, and sin no more.” (John 8: 11).  His mission was one of repentance and forgiveness, not condemnation.

   In Matthew, chapter 23 Jesus took the religious leaders of Israel to task, calling them out for their hypocrisy and bad teachings.  He spared no condemnation of their actions and sinfulness.  But still, He did not condemn them to hell.  All pastors, priests, and ministers would do well to reread these verses at least once a month.

   Yes, I must stand against sin; but I must do so with love, not condemning the sinner but seeking to bring them home. 

Through the love of God we are saved.

Through the love of God may we help save others.

Give me the courage to rebuke sin.

Give me love for the sinner. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment