Saturday, November 6, 2021

 Vanities 

   “Vanity of vanities, says Qoheleth, vanity of vanities!  All things are vanity!”  (Eccl 1: 2) 

   I’ve come to believe that all things are vanity except one; seeking the face of God. 

        Does my hair look as it should?  Vanity.

        Are my clothes of the latest fashion?  Vanity.

        Is my car new enough?  Vanity.

        Is my house big enough? Vanity.

        Am I making enough money?   Vanity.

        Am I popular with others?  Vanity. 

   We spend so much time worrying and fusing about things that really don’t matter in the long run; none will go with us when we die.  All we have worked for, all we have, will belong to someone else.   Only one thing is deserving of our fervent desire; to love God and spend eternity with Him in our heavenly home. 

    “One thing I ask of the Lord; this I will seek:  To dwell in the Lord's house all the days of my life, to gaze on the Lord’s beauty, to visit his temple.” (Psalm 27: 4). 

Vanity is everywhere I look.

We care more for earthly things than for You.

Open our hearts, show us the way.

May we seek only You. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment