Saturday, November 27, 2021

 Temptations 

   I have often prayed that I could avoid the enticements of Satan.  I not only wanted to resist temptation, but to not be tempted at all.  I recently read something that gave me a new outlook on temptations.

   In one of my books of meditations I found the following: “If you are not being tempted it is because you are sinning.”  I had never thought of it in that way before, but it makes sense.  Why would Satan continue tempting one who is already in his control?  It would serve no purpose.  He certainly doesn’t give up on those who resist, he even tempted Jesus.

   Temptations are also a subject often mentioned by the early desert Fathers.  A young man who had chosen that way of life once asked St. Antony for his advice.  He was troubled by the continual temptations of life and wanted to know what he could do to avoid them.  St. Antony told him to stand facing the wind, open his cloak, and catch the wind.  The young man replied that what he asked wasn’t possible.  St. Antony responded that neither could he avoid temptation.  His job was not to avoid them, but to say No!

   Two different thoughts about temptations from some of the earliest Christians, those who were devoting their life to better knowing and serving God through solitude, prayer, and contemplation.

   I still pray for the strength to resist evil temptations, but I also see them as proof that Satan has not won me over.  The fact that I am still being tempted gives me comfort that I am winning the battle. 

Temptations can be hard.

It’s difficult to resist at times.

Strengthen me Lord.

To walk in Your ways. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment