Tuesday, November 2, 2021

 The Ways of the Lord 

   “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways, my thoughts higher than your thoughts.  (Isaiah 55: 9) 

   I wish I understood the ways of the Lord, but I don’t.  There are so many things that occur in this world that seem at odds with God’s ways and there seems to be no end to them.  Why can’t they just be stopped?  He could do it, but He doesn’t.

   On Saturday mornings I get together with some friends.  We go to Mass and then to breakfast.  Our discussions are wide-ranging but always include our faith and how we are to live it.  We have adopted a phrase that we apply when we reach an impasse and have no idea why God does some of the things He does; “It’s above my paygrade.”

   That seems to sum up the truth of the matter, God does what is best.  His plan is eternal and has been known since before time began, while our miserly wisdom barely explains our limited place in His master plan.  It really is above our paygrade to second guess the ways of the Lord.

   The one thing that never crosses my mind, however, is to doubt that God is in control, He has it all in hand.  “Faith is the realization of what is hoped for and evidence of things not seen.” (Heb 11: 1).  It is faith in God that resolves my dilemma of understanding.  I have faith in His ways, trust in His love, and confidence that He will do what He has promised.  Perhaps I will have understanding in the next life.

I’m often confused Lord.

There is so much I don’t understand.

Though I can’t comprehend all Your ways.

I trust in You always and completely. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment