Monday, March 28, 2022

 A Cheerful Life 

   “Cheerfulness strengthens the heart and makes us persevere in a good life.  Therefore, the servant of God ought always to be in good spirits.  (St Phillip Neri) 

   God wishes me to be cheerful, to enjoy life, always looking to Him in thanksgiving for His many blessings.  To do less is, in my opinion, an insult to the God who loves and watches over me.

   Even Job, in the midst of all his woes and troubles, had the faith and the courage to say, “If I say:  I will forget my complaining, I will lay aside my sadness and be of good cheer.” (Job 9: 27).   If I am to be what God wishes me to be, I too must lay aside sadness and allow myself to be of good cheer.

   According to St. Augustine evil has no positive nature.  It is instead the absence of good.  If evil results from the lack of good, I must always focus on the good and fill myself with the cheerfulness God asks of me.

   Satan would have me believe that the world can overcome me and make my life a misery.  He constantly brings to mind those things that have caused pain and sorrow in my life.  If I listen, he will steal my peace and replace it with a troubled soul.

   Jesus said, “Do not let your hearts be troubled.  You have faith in God, have faith also in me.  In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places.  If there were not, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?  And if I go to prepare a place for you, I will come back again and take you to myself, so that where I am, you may also be. (John 14: 1 – 3).  These words are the key to overcoming evil and being of good cheer. Amen Lord, come soon.

 

Fill my heart with joy Lord.  Let me never allow evil to take away my cheerfulness.  Never allow my heart to be troubled, but to always place all my hope in You.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment