Wednesday, March 16, 2022

 Humility

 

   “For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.” (Luke 14: 11) 

   Our Lord lived a life of humility as an example to me and to all.  He often reminded us that we are to be servants.  At the last supper after He washed the feet of the apostles He told them, “If then I, the Lord and Master, have washed your feet, you should wash each other’s feet.  I have given you an example so that you may copy what I have done to you.” (John 13: 13 – 15).  In His humility He taught humility.

   To better understand humility, I had to first understand what Christian humility is not.  It is not becoming a door mat for others.  It is not allowing unwarranted attack on my faith, although it requires a loving and forgiving response to such attacks.  It is not denying God-given talents although it forbids taking pride in them.

   Humility means that I must first and foremost recognize what I am reminded of each year at Ash Wednesday; I am dust and to dust I will return.  God created me and wills that I exist.  Without His desire for my continued presence, I would cease to be.  Nothing, myself included, exists in this world except by the will of God.

   To understand humility and foster it in my life I must realize that all good comes from God.  Any good that I might accomplish originates with Him, not me.  As a sinner, I can only do good with the help of the Lord, although I can certainly do evil on my own.

   Humility also means that I must stop looking for the sins in others and focus on the sins in my own life.  This doesn’t mean that I should not confront sin, but I should do so in the spirit of love, fully aware that I too am a sinner in need of forgiveness and mercy.

 

Teach me humility Lord.  Take away my pride, give me the desire to serve others according to Your will.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment