Sunday, March 6, 2022

 Sainthood 

   “Be content that you are not yet a saint, even though you realize that the only thing worth living for is sanctity.  Then you will be satisfied to let God lead you to sanctity by paths that you cannot understand.” (Thomas Merton, “New Seeds of Contemplation”) 

   We were created to become holy, to be sanctified.  The problem arises in achieving sanctity.  Regardless of how hard we may try, there is nothing we can do to sanctify ourselves and there is nothing we can do to achieve sainthood.  Sanctity, which leads to sainthood, is a grace given freely by God to those who seek it.  No other way exists by which we may achieve sanctity.

   If we wish to be sanctified, to be made holy, we must look to our Blessed Mother for the answer.  “But Mary said to the angel, ‘How can this be, since I have no relations with a man?’  And the angel said to her in reply, ‘The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you.’  Mary replied, ‘Behold I am the handmaid of the Lord.  May it be done to me according to your word.’”  (Luke 1: 34 – 36 & 38).

   God wants to make us holy, to make us saints, but He will not do so unless we cooperate.  Like the Blessed Mother, we must reply, “I am the servant of the Lord, may it be done to me according to Your word.”

 

Father, make me a saint I beg.  I am your servant, may it be done to me according to Your word.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment