Monday, March 21, 2022

 

It’s Not What We Know, It’s How We Live 

   “On the day of judgement we will not be asked what we have read, but what we have done; neither will we be asked how well we have spoken, but how devoutly we have lived. (Thomas à Kempis, “The Imitation of Christ”) 

   We can know the bible word for word and be able to repeat it from memory, but if we aren’t living what it teaches it does us no good.  If we can name all the saints, but don’t incorporate the faith they lived by into our life, it is of no help.

   Jesus did not ask us to know everything there is to know, but to seek the will of God in our lives.  He asks us to feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, clothe the naked, visit those who are sick or in prison.  He asks us to love God with all our heart, mind, and soul, and to love one another as He loves us.

   At our judgement we won’t be asked how much we know or how many great speeches we may have given, He will ask if we’ve lived what we preached and used what we’ve learned to better serve God and our neighbor.

It won’t matter if there are plaques on stained glass windows recognizing us for the donation that paid for them; that plaque will be our reward.  He will know of the charity we have shown in secret.  That is what will merit our heavenly reward.

I can author many books or post blogs every day for the rest of my life, but if I’m not doing my best to live by God’s will, it does me no good.  In fact, if I don’t incorporate what I preach into my own life, I am nothing but a hypocrite.

   Worldly knowledge, earthly recognition or honors will not get me to heaven.  Doing my best to live as Christ has asked of me is the only thing that will put me on that path.

 

Father, knowledge is a wonderful thing, a precious gift from You.  But knowledge of Your will and my efforts to live accordingly is what will lead me to Your heavenly kingdom.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment