Sunday, March 13, 2022

 Why Am I Here? 

Why am I here?  What is my purpose?  What is God’s plan for me?  I think we’ve all asked ourselves these questions many times in our life.  God has a plan for each of us, striving to know and fulfill that plan is the path to heaven.

What is my purpose?  Jesus told his apostles, “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.” (Matthew 28: 19 - 20).  Note that he didn’t say to make them followers, but disciples.  We are challenged not to be just followers of Christ but to be disciples.  Following is a passive act, becoming a disciple requires devotion, dedication and positive action.  As a follower, we can perhaps get to where we want to go, but as a disciple we can also lead others along the way.

What is God’s plan for me?  Thomas Merton, in “The Seven Story Mountain”, recalls his friend telling him “All that is necessary to be a saint is to want to be one.  Don’t you believe that God will make you what he created you to be, if you will consent to let him do it?”  The same is true of me and you.  God desires that we all be saints and will guide us to sainthood if we let Him.

Why am I here?  The Baltimore Catechism says I am here to “know Him, to love Him, and to serve Him in this world, and to be happy with Him forever in Heaven.”  If I strive to do these things I believe I shall know why I am here.

 

My life is a mystery, I don’t know the plans You have for me.  Guide me on Your way, help me to follow Your will in all things.  Make of me a saint.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment