Thursday, March 31, 2022

 Boasting in Weakness 

   “So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.” (2 Cor 12: 9) 

   The ability to resist all sin is not possible.  As much as I would like to be sinless, original sin and the evil it brought upon all humanity makes it impossible.  The most I can do is rely on the power of Christ to give me the strength to resist serious sin and to turn to Him for forgiveness in any sin that I may commit.

   This is the weakness St. Paul spoke of in the scripture quoted above.  He recognized His own weakness and saw it as the opportunity to let the power of Christ dominate His life; to die to self and live for God.  In his humility he understood that any good he might do came only from God and that the struggle was one that can only be won with the help of the Lord.

   The fact that I cannot eliminate sin from my life even helps strengthen my faith.  It clearly says that I do not have the power to resist all sin on my own, thereby encouraging me to turn to God for the strength to continue the fight.

   In humble acceptance, I must recognize that, without God, I am nothing.  I can do nothing good unless I allow Him to do the good through me.  On Ash Wednesday, as he placed the ashes on my forehead, the priest again reminded me that I am dust and to dust I shall return.  This too encourages me to turn to God in all things.

   I pray often for the ability to completely resist sin in my life, even though I know that isn’t possible.  I believe that my desire to be sinless pleases God even though I can never achieve that goal in this life.  I will rely on the love and forgiveness of God to see me through and rejoice in my weakness that I may better know His strength.

 

I know my weakness Lord.  Show me Your strength.  Help me to avoid sin in my life and have mercy on me when I fail.  Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment