Tuesday, March 15, 2022

 Exiles in the World 

   “Here we have no abiding city, but we seek the one that is to come.” (Michael Casey OCSO, “Seventy-four Tools for Good Living: Reflections on the Fourth Chapter of Benedict’s Rule”)

   I am never truly at home as long as I live in this world.  Like the Israelites exiled to Babylon, I am where I do not belong.  This is the land of exile, heaven, the new Jerusalem, is my true home.

   This does not mean that I am unhappy, simply unsettled.  I enjoy my life; it is a gift from God, intended to be enjoyed.  To do less is to denigrate God’s wonderful gift.  He has blessed me is so many ways and I am grateful for His love and mercy.

   I love my family and we have a great time when we get together.  The ties we have are eternal and based on love, not just blood.  My fondest wish is to spend eternity with them in the next life.

   My friends are the best and have helped me through some very difficult times.  We meet often, sometimes for meals, sometimes just to visit or watch a movie, sharing so much of our lives and blessings.  I look forward to continuing these relationships when we gather in the kingdom of God.

   I feel most at home in this world when I am in God’s house.  At Mass and in the Adoration Chapel before the Blessed Sacrament I am most conscious of God’s presence in my life.  At times I can almost see the communion of saints gathering around the altar during the consecration of the Eucharist.

   And yet, I am not at home.  Of all the blessings God has given I think the greatest is the promise of life eternal in His company.  If I can live my life as an offering to Him, seeking His guidance and mercy, He will lead me to my true home.

 

I thank You for all the blessings of this life.  I especially thank you for the promise of the life to come.  Make me Yours Lord, make me a saint.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment