Saturday, February 15, 2020


Choices

   I’ve often considered the mixed blessing and curse of the free will God has granted me.  Out of love He refused to make me an adoring slave, giving me the choice of whether to serve Him or serve Satan.

   Jesus, in His mercy, became human to give me the chance of conversion, repentance and salvation.  By His life, death and resurrection He has given me the opportunity of redemption.  Regardless the sins I’ve committed, He will forgive them when I approach with a sorrowful heart, seeking His mercy.

   Still the choices remain.  Each day I’m faced with making choices between good and evil.  I can freely choose whether to go to daily Mass or not; to spend time in prayer or not; to serve my Lord or not.  Sometimes I almost wish I could relinquish free will so that I would never again be tempted to abandon His will.

   Then I realize how worthless my love and service to God would be if it were demanded rather than chosen.  It is good for me to have to choose between right and wrong.  My life is better because I’ve made the choice to follow the Lord’s ways as best as I can.  My faith tells me He is pleased because I have made that choice of my own free will.

   Satan hasn’t and won’t give up on me I’m sure.  He will continue to tempt me in every way possible.  At times the evil one has a much better memory than I do, reminding me of the evils I have done in the past, long forgiven and lost to my memory.  He tries to seduce me with earthly pleasures and desires.  It is my choice to reject him and my Lord is always there to help in those efforts.

   Free will brings dangers but it also brings the joy of serving God because I want to, because I love Him and want to spend eternity with Him.  I am secure in His arms.

Lord, there are so many choices.
The evil one never rests in his temptations.
I choose to reject Satan.
I am Yours for all eternity.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment