Wednesday, February 12, 2020


Loving Others

   “Our job is to love others without inquiring if they are worthy.”  (Thomas Merton)

   Jesus told us that we must love others.  Not just those who love us or those we want to love, but even our enemies and those who wrong us.  It’s very clear in the gospel that love is the essence of His teachings.

   I struggle with the idea of loving enemies and those who would do me harm.  I wrestle with the idea of loving those who demand abortion be legal, even to the point of birth.  I find it hard to think of loving one who would persecute me for my faith.  How can I love a Hitler; one who would offhandedly murder millions?

   And yet when I look at my life I see that God, who is all love, loves me.  I’ve not killed an infant in the womb or sent people to gas chambers, but I have sinned many times.  I continue to sin even though I try to overcome my sinfulness.  Am I worthy of God’s love?  Of course not!  I am worthy of His condemnation but instead He gives me mercy, forgiveness and love.

   As hard as it might be I must try to follow His example.  If not, I fall further from His ways and am even less worthy of His love.  If I am to claim that I am a Christian I have to do all in my power to share the love He has given me with others whether they are worthy or not.  All are God’s children, all deserve love.  Perhaps my prayers and offer of love can be used by God to change a heart and reclaim one of His wayward children.

   Without love for others I cannot truly have love for God.  He loves all His children with a love filled with mercy and forgiveness.  He asks no less of me.

Lord, You are Love itself.
None are worthy but still You love.
Help me to love others.
Even those who are difficult to love.

Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment