Friday, February 14, 2020

Timeless

   “But do not ignore this fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like one day.” (2 Peter 3: 8)

   I struggle with the timelessness of eternity.  There is no yesterday and no tomorrow, only the present.  Understanding eternity is far beyond my ability, but I find comfort when I remember that Jesus knew time for a while.

   In the plan of salvation Jesus chose to become man and live among us.  He entered time just as any other human.  I find it heartening that Jesus experienced time.  He knew the years of childhood that were necessary before adulthood.  As a carpenter He knew the time necessary to expertly build a table or a chair.  He was conscious of time, just as I am.

  Did He become anxious when things didn’t come as quickly as expected?  Did He experience the joy of achieving something that required time to complete?  I suspect He did.  Such things are a common experience for every human, and He was completely human in all ways but sin.

   It comforts me that Jesus knew time for a while.  He knows the slowness of some things and the speed of others.  He understands that there are only so many hours in a day and sometimes I am overwhelmed.

   I look forward to the day when time will no longer exist for me.   The day when all will become clear and I can at last understand.

Lord You are timeless.
I am bound by time.
I long to know eternity with You.
Give me patience while I wait.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment