Saturday, February 1, 2020


Sharing the Truth

   “We must know the truth, and we must love the truth we know, and we must act according to the measure of our love.” (Thomas Merton, “The Ascent to Truth”)

   Each Saturday I meet with some friends after morning Mass.  We go to breakfast and enjoy conversation and sharing of our faith.  It is a blessing that I look forward to and has added new meaning to my life.

   This morning the reality of the above quote by Thomas Merton was exemplified.  I don’t believe in coincidence, especially in spiritual matters so I’m quite certain that the fact I’ve been reading Merton’s book and the topic of conversation this morning confirmed that the Holy Spirit is always at work within us.

   Each of the other men had recently experienced an opportunity to live the truth and share that truth with others.  One was called to and accepted a ministerial position; one helped another to better understand that there are many ways to worship God in the Church and all deserve respect; the third had the courage to boldly and lovingly defend the faith to another.  May God’s blessings be on each of them!

   Examples such as these are evidence of the truth of Jesus when He said, “And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matt 28: 20).  He is indeed with us and, if we are willing, He will use us to lead, encourage and protect His kingdom here on earth.  A willing heart is a wonderful gift to offer our Lord.

   I am encouraged and strengthened in my faith by these men who share their faith and courage with me.  I pray that my faith may also be as strong and beneficial to others.

Lord, we give you our hearts.
Use them to Your will.
We give You our lives.
May we live them for You.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment