Monday, February 10, 2020

Into the Depths

   Many people who think of going into the depths would think of it as a negative.  They think of the depths of despair or the depths of sorrow.  I’d like to share a different meaning to this phrase, one that is glorious and positive.

   The depths I’m referring to are the depths of God’s love and mercy.  In these depths there is peace, calm, and comfort.  The deeper I go the more my life seems to be in order and as it should be.  In these depths I talk with God, not just at Him.  Too many times my prayers were all one sided; I spoke and expected God to listen.  I’ve learned that it’s far better for me to be silent and listen to Him.

   The deepness of faith, love of others and love of God isn’t something we can just do; it requires the grace of God.  He will give us these blessings, but we must be willing to accept them according to His will, not ours.  God will change our life although it may not be in the way we expect.  We must be open to His way and be prepared to set aside the way we might have preferred.

   Even the depths of despair and sorrow can be used by God to bring about good; to increase our love and faith in Him.  When we are at our lowest point He comes to us offering solace, mercy and love.  If we allow, He will help us turn our sorrow to joy, our despair to happiness.

   Trials and hardships are part of this life; some bring great distress.  I, like many, have experienced such difficulties and may again if it is God’s will.  By looking to God, trusting in His love and mercy He has brought good from my struggles.  In His mercy He has filled me with His peace and deepened my faith and love of Him.

Father there is great suffering in this world.
I sometimes don’t see a way out.
I turn to You and You help me.
I thank You for Your great love and mercy.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment