Saturday, February 29, 2020


Follow Me

  Jesus used the phrase “follow me” many times during His ministry.  He came to call the people of Israel to follow Him, the Messiah.  Some listened and followed, others didn’t.  He came to call the whole world to follow.  Again, some listen, many don’t.

   Pride and concern for their own well-being kept many, including most of the Jewish religious leaders, from following.  They thought they had all the answers and Jesus wasn’t the Messiah they expected.  Pride and earthly cares often interfere with our decision to follow.

   To Matthew, a tax collector, He simply said, “Follow me.” (Matt 9: 9).  Matthew immediately got up and followed Him.  When the blind man, Bartimaeus, asked the Lord for his sight Jesus replied, “Go your way, your faith has saved you.” (Mark 10: 52).  Bartimaeus was immediately able to see and he followed Him.

   Following has consequences.  Except for John all of the apostles were martyred.  Early Christians suffered great persecution, torture and martyrdom.  The cost of following can be high.  “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me.” (Matt 16: 24).  The path may not always be easy, but the reward far outweighs the cost.

   Today He says to me, “Follow me”.  With His strength and His help I will follow.  I am weak and can’t do it alone, so I will trust in Him and His love and mercy.  I will pick up my cross and follow in the knowledge that with Him all things are possible.

Jesus you came to call sinners.
I am a sinner, You call me.
I look to You for the strength to follow.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment